Popular Posts

Friday, February 21, 2014

Grave Digger III

When you live in a bubble, you cannot understand universal complexities.  One cannot conceive the ramifications of a contravention.  When we tamper with laws of nature, there is a penalty.  If I earned anything that day, it was the wrath of God, and  Lacey was about to bestow deep pain upon me.
Lacey, the driving mule, was prodding with his unending vile vocabulary.  He never slept, at least visibly, and he kept lading bills at each location.  We dropped trailers at the rail yard after a laborious week and picked up two loads of steal.  It was there Lacey excelled as if on top of his game, easily throwing trails of chain across the loads, while I struggled with the bindings to near exhaustion.  Tired and angry, both itching for a fight; Bobby Joe and Delvis, two guys who got hired in about the time I got there, appeared, plumes of dust in the dirt lot trailing behind them, and skidding to a halt, with Bobby’s trailer wheels just bushing my calf.  That simple act fired the fuel of my ire.  Bounding over his trailer, I grabbed for his throat, my two hands each grasping his neck, then fiercely squeezing into opposite ends of his throat, while crossing my thumbs and concentrating on his demise while he faded away.
Then Delvis pulled his gun to fire, but I was quicker and found his right shoulder with a Schrade, pocketknife that I inherited.
I felt something grasp my shoulder as I lifted into space by the fearful mighty, Lacy, and I knew I was in trouble.
Misiu grabbed Lacy from behind, burying his teeth into his thy, and instantly Lacy’s grasp released, to throw me.   My leg broke from the fall, but only one bone and it looked stable.  I could barely walk; the paralyzing pain was too intense.  Misiu came to my whistle, to assist me back into the truck cab, after putting the gun on Bobby’s temple.
Inside the cab, I retreated to the sleeper while Misiu guarded.  Unable to remove my boot, my leg was swollen into it, so I left it on and threw my sweaty shirt onto the dirty dusty floor, too exhausted to move; and later on, Lacy appeared to greet me with Vicodine, our pill of choice for pain.
The next day changed everything.   With the rain threatening our precious cargoes, chained and tarped, we needed to head out on the highway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment