Popular Posts

Thursday, July 21, 2011

STORY ABOUT AN OFFICER



A woman found slumped over her steering wheel by the roadside, was arrested and booked by police.  They made it an entertaining news evening.  Not only did they divulge personal information about the woman; they gave the address where she could be stoned at, while showing her image around the world.  I started wondering, “Is this part of the program that we call, Homeland Security?”.
It is sad that we can be in our current state of affairs, and be blind about correcting it. People all over the country are looking at ways to solve our nations problems, but they are stymied by existing laws that favor a minority.  Most states are taking oppressive approaches, calling for less government, i.e.., drill, drill, drill, and cutting much needed programs while increasing corporate tax breaks.  After all, they are telling us, our oil will cost more, our taxes will rise, Social Security will be cut and taxed; even though that is supposed to be illegal.  Corporate America is taxing us exactly what they are putting on the chopping block.
I remember going to, Ditka’s Restaurant, at his opening evening .  I had two bottles of Champagne and, a football player invited me to his place, for a BBQ.  There we drank another tonic while grilling steaks.  It was about two a.m., when I realized that I should be getting home. 
When I drove through the toll booth, instead of stopping there, I realized that I was probably drunk.  So, I pulled into a parking space at the HoJo’s, traffic island directly in front of me.  My plan was to walk into the restaurant for coffee while sitting long enough to sober up.  Instead, in my coma, I walked directly through the place, to the other side where I was found slumped over the steering of a State Police car.
If that happened today, I might be heading to jail for life. The prior thought is scary to think about.  Imagine, what could have happened that did not.  I had sense to pull over.  The police got me safely home.
When I heard about the woman found slumped over her steering wheel, my first thought was that she had sense to pull over and wait for help.  I pondered the differences for several days, still unable to reach a conclusion.  We both pulled off the road.  She was sitting in her car.  I was already in the police car, but on the wrong side.  He led me by the hand.  She was hand cuffed.  I wondered what was different.  What would have happened if she’d been driven home, instead of being charged with a crime. 
Nothing happened to me when I got drunk.  The officer got a laugh and helped someone who needed a kind hand.  My wife got all over me.  I got a hangover.  I neither drink nor smoke; it’s too expensive.  My point to ponder is about quality of life.  What is, tolerance?   Have we no compassion?
I do not know the particulars of the woman’s case as well as mine.  There was no case for me.  I got dropped off safely at home.  We do not know her details; except, her picture, home address, what her children look like, and that she pulled over when she realized her dilemma.    Just think, they stone women to death for lesser crimes in other countries, and we sent her picture across the globe.  Is it right?
It relates to our current state of affairs.  There are more tax breaks for the rich, than money spent to help poor people.  We have no money to spend on programs like, Social Security that was intended to assist poor people.  We have millions to spend on other programs, like, Cadillac Escalades for members of the police force, and new furniture for the town hall; forget the poor.  Our perceptions of what is safe, are stilted.  We condone rectal exams for old ladies in the airport because they are unsafe people, and sometimes they stink.  There is no harm sending a woman’s face across the globe, for pulling over along the roadside to be safe.  How can we call that security?

No comments:

Post a Comment